COLUMBIA, SC (November 15, 2012) – For the holiday season, Harbison Theatre at Midlands Technical College will host a fun, family-friendly matinee performance by the South Carolina Philharmonic orchestra. This live “Holiday Pops” concert will take place on Sunday afternoon, December 2, 2012 at 3pm. Tickets are available at http://www.harbisontheatre.org.
Celebrity conductor Morihiko Nakahara will lead the show with his trademark charisma and fun-loving verve. Selections will include the following holiday classics:
- Selections from the Polar Express film soundtrack
- Leroy Anderson’s “Sleigh Ride,” featuring a surprise guest conductor
- Setting of “Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus” narrated over Elgar’s “Nimrod”
- Audience sing-a-long of familiar carols
- “We Three Basses,” a fun setting of “We Three Kings” featuring three bass players from the SC Phil. It’s not often you hear a contrabass solo with orchestra, let alone a contrabass section feature.
- Ralph Vaughan Williams’ gorgeous “Fantasia on Greensleeves”
- Victor Herbert’s “March of the Toys” from “Babes in Toyland”
- James Stephenson’s brilliant orchestrations of familiar Holiday carols and songs
The booking is part of Harbison Theatre’s first performing arts season, planned in-house and designed to bring fresh, innovative programming to the thriving Greater Columbia